Before you start an interior paint project, make sure you know what’s in the paint that will cover your home’s walls.
As paint dries, volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, escape into the air and can negatively affect the air quality in your house.
These chemicals can cause headaches and dizziness, and the long-term effects of exposure are not yet known.
Choosing non-toxic paint for your living quarters will have positive health benefits for years to come. Low- or no-VOC paints are the best choice for an eco-friendly home.
Paint companies have introduced many environmentally conscious options, just six of which appear below. If you decide to hire a qualified professional to take care of your painting job, and you want a green home, confirm that they are using low- or no-VOC paint products.
And now, here are some paint options:
1. Sherman Williams Enhanced Harmony. This line claims to have no VOCs and is resistant to mold and microbes. According to Sherman Williams, “The formula was then enhanced with Odor Eliminating Technology, which helps reduce ambient odors from organic sources. From smoke to garlic to [a] wet dog, common odors dissipate in spaces painted with Harmony Paint.” In addition, the Harmony line claims to reduce VOCs released into the air by common household items like carpets, cabinetry and curtains. To ensure that no VOCs are added to their paints during the tinting process, Sherman Williams created Colorcast Ecotoner colorants. You can get your paint tinted to any Sherman Williams color with the knowledge that none of their color tints contain harmful chemicals.
2. ECOS paint. ECOS has its own no-VOC pigments, so when color is added to your paint, it’s done without also adding harmful chemicals. When the paint is applied, there is no paint or polyurethane odor, so it’s safe for pregnant women and newborns. This paint is a viable choice for people with allergies as it contains no fungicides, pesticides or herbicides.
3. YOLO Colorhouse. From its eco-friendly packaging to its paint recycling program, YOLO Colorhouse seeks to have a low ecological footprint. Their paints are no-VOC, but the company states that VOCs may be added during the tinting process. YOLO contains an antimicrobial formula that makes the paint mold resistant and it is low in odor.
4. Real Milk Co. Made from natural ingredients and in the tradition of paints made from lime, curdled milk or cottage cheese, and pigments from the earth, this modern version of milk paint is more durable than its predecessors. This non-toxic paint is ideal for children and can be used on children’s toys, walls and furniture with no fear of exposure. The paint contains no VOCs and is so safe you can pour it onto your compost pile. Milk paint comes in over 56 colors that can be mixed to get the look you want.
5. Benjamin Moore Natura/Aura. Benjamin Moore has two paint lines — Natura and Aura — that claim zero VOC emissions. They are low-odor paints, which makes them a safer option for pregnant women, and they come in thousands of colors. Both Aura and Natura paint are mildew resistant, which works well in climates that are wet many months in the year.
6. Behr’s Premium Plus Interior. Behr’s zero-VOC paint is an affordable option sold exclusively at The Home Depot. Behr Premium Plus is low in odor and mildew resistant. It’s also strong enough to be cleaned with soap and water.
Well, there you have it! Some options that can not only help with your painting project, but also preserve your health.
Do you have a favorite line of environmentally friendly paint? If so, share it in the comments below!