The 4 Seasons of Home Ownership is a curated collection of how-to videos, articles and tips to keep your home running smoothly throughout the year. The list for each season includes 10 “must do” items, as well as some additional projects to take on as time and budget allow or if you want to do a little something extra.
The spring checklist addresses everything from AC maintenance and gutter cleaning to pressure washing and organizing.
Read the 4 Seasons of Home Ownership: Spring episode article to see how we helped a family tackle these springtime chores. Check out Sprucing Up Your Home’s Exterior for Spring for more info.
Top 10 Must Do
- Have AC and heating systems serviced by a professional.
- Clean all rain gutters and downspouts; make repairs, if necessary.
- Clean and repair window screens. Clean tracks and lubricate.
- Clean debris off roof. Check for loose or damaged roof shingles or flashing. Repair, if needed.
- Sharpen all garden tools and inspect the condition of your wheelbarrow.
- Clean lint from the clothes dryer’s exhaust pipe.
- Reverse ceiling fans to counterclockwise direction to blow air down.
- Lubricate all exterior hinges, gates, garage door tracks, and locks.
- Clear away all leaves and debris from the AC condenser unit.
- Prepare all flowerbeds and plants.
If Time and Budget Allow
- Pressure wash decks, fences, siding and driveways.
- Add additional insulation to the attic.
- Organize at least one closet in your home.
- Dust lampshades and ceiling fan blades.
- Aerate and fertilize the lawn.
- Reseed all bare spots on lawn.