The 4 Seasons of Home Ownership is a curated collection of how-to videos, articles and tips to keep your home running smoothly throughout the year.
People spend 90 percent of their time indoors during winter, so tackling the chores on the winter checklist ensures healthy air and water quality throughout the season. The checklist also focuses on making sure you and your home are prepared in the event of severe winter weather.
Top 10 Must Do
- Change heating system filters.
- Clean kitchen range hood filter.
- Clean all baseboard heaters.
- Change water and icemaker filters on the refrigerator.
- Thoroughly clean, oil and prepare snowblower for winter.
- Gather tools and supplies for removing ice from walkways and driveways.
- Inspect the washing machine hoses for leaks or damage. Replace, if necessary.
- Insulate exposed water lines and hose bibs.
- Set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise to circulate warm air.
- Prepare portable or standby generators.
If Time and Budget Allow
- Empty bookcases and wipe shelves clean.
- Check insulation. Add more, if necessary.
- Add winter survival kit to car.
- Wipe down every baseboard in the house.
- Paint a bedroom.
- Apply revitalizer to your hardwood floor.
A Little Something Extra
- Organize holiday decorations and discard broken items.
- Color stain grout on one floor.
- Clean and organize one closet.