I’m installing a mailbox at the curb. How high should it be, and are there other postal service requirements? -Tom
You should start by ing your local post office to make sure the mailbox and location you would like to install it meets with their approval. Here are some general guidelines for a curbside mailbox:
- The bottom of the mailbox should be from 41” to 45” above the road.
- The front of the mailbox should be set back 6” to 8” from the curb.
- The lettering for the name and address on the mailbox should be at least 1” high.
- The box must be located on the right-hand side of the road in the direction the mail carrier will be traveling.
Good luck with your project,
- Residential Mailbox Standards (usps.com)
- How to Set Fence Posts in Your Yard (video)